QTank Water Tank Design and Quality
At QTank our commitment to quality demands that we test every tank, and we provide you with the testing report for every Q Tank you buy, so you know your rainwater tank meets quality standards.
Unlike many other rainwater tanks, QTanks have been designed specifically with the way you’ll use your water in mind.
All QTank water tanks are made in Brisbane with a state-of-the-art rotary moulding facility by trained, experienced professionals. QTank uses only the finest quality materials and moulds and employs possibly the strictest testing procedures in the Industry.
The properly certified polyethylene used by QTank is 100% safe for drinking water, we do not use inferior imported material from China that may not have been properly tested to strict Australian standards.
We are happy to accommodate specific requests the location of outlets on your water tank at no extra cost. Please let us know when ordering.
OUR COMMITMENT TO QUALITY
Australian Standard 4766 – “Polyethylene Storage Tanks for Water and Chemicals” requires that 1 in every 10 water tanks produced pass a strict set of tests. This standard specifies requirements for the design and manufacture of polyethylene storage tanks that are rotationally moulded in one-piece seamless construction.
At QTank our commitment to quality demands that we test every tank, and we provide you with the testing report for every QTank you buy, so you know your rainwater tank meets quality standards.
Each Q Tank must pass three tests before leaving the factory floor:
- Ultrasonic Thickness Testing – Uses ultrasonic measuring equipment to measure the thickness of the water tank at various points in the roof, wall and base.
- Impact Testing – Measures the plastic’s impact strength and ensures the tank is not brittle and has been made correctly.
- Visual Inspection – Our experienced staff perform a survey of the interior and exterior of the water tank.
Ultrasonic Thickness Testing
We use an ultrasonic measuring device to determine the thickness of our tanks to within 0.1mm accuracy. At QTank we use this device on 20 sections of the tank including areas of the lid, wall and base.
The Australian standard requires that no section is thinner that 4.5mm. At QTank, all our water tanks far exceed this standard.
We further test areas at a similar height on the tank, making sure they are a consistent width to ensure the tank’s long-term durability.
You will receive the complete results of the thickness test with your test report, so you will know for sure the thickness in all areas of your tank.
Measures the plastic’s impact strength and ensures the tank is not brittle and has been made correctly
- When the inlet strainer is cut from the tank, 2 samples of the tank are removed ready for impact testing. (one is supplied with the tank, the other is kept at QTank for warranty period of the tank).
- The sample is allowed to cool slowly at room temperature for 24 hours, then cooled to -40° Celsius for 6 hours to stress the polymer chains to their limits.
- A 9kg dart is dropped onto sample to test its strength (see adjacent image). If the sample cracks or is pierced then the tank fails the test and will not be sold.
The interior and exterior of the tank is visually by our experienced staff to check for defects. When rotary moulded polyethylene water tanks are over-cooked they degrade from the inside out. It takes the trained, experienced eye of our skilled staff to spot these possible defects before any tank reaches the public.